Wow what a title. More of a note to myself this one.
Problem: npm install or variants thereof cause errors, mainly related to long filenames when run inside a homestead virtualbox virtual machine on Windows.
A simple fix is to create a symbolic link inside the vm for the node_modules path so that it doesn't reside inside the folder being shared with the Windows file-system.
Modify the Vagrantfile or the scripts/homestead.rb file if using homestead to include the following as part of the config:
config.vm.provider "virtualbox" do |v| v.customize ["setextradata", :id, "VBoxInternal2/SharedFoldersEnableSymlinksCreate/v-root", "1"] end
Then you'll need to run the Git Bash shell as admin, otherwise it won't let you create the symbolic links. The important part here is actually that winnfsd.exe starts as admin so you could change the compatibility in the properties to start as admin.
I recently updated my audio driver from the default built in Windows 8.1 device driver to use the Realtek audio driver and it also installed the Realtek HD Audio Manager. It's a nice bit of software that allows you configure all things audio.
However, as soon as I installed it I noticed that, when I plugged my headphones in, the volume was deafening. This was because the volume slider in the system tray was being shared between headphones and speakers. Previously when I plugged the headphones in, it muted the speakers and switched over to my headphones at around 15% volume.
Now when I plug my headphones it it's at 100% still, which is what the speakers were at, needless to say it's a bit of a shock every time.
I found out however that there is a solution. If you start the Realtek HD Audio Manager, there's usually an icon in the system tray, you can go to "Device advanced settings" in the top right corner and choose …